Tuesday, July 10, 2012

TIO Tuesday - Jalapeno Lime Butter

This is my first post written without a current picture. In a very grievous error, I didn't complete the picture download and deleted the pictures from my SD card before I realized it. I'm screaming on the inside for multiple reasons, not the least of which is that I now have no pictures for this post!!!!
I do have left-overs, so the pictures are of that, not the pretty ones I had taken while/after I made it. ARGHHH!!!!!
That being said, let's get on with it. We are heavy into Sweet Corn season in Iowa. It's a glorious time of year for fresh fruit and vegetables! I stopped by the side of the road and purchased a dozen ears of Hesse Sweet Corn on Sunday. I remembered seeing some things on pinterest and a quick search led me to this recipe. I didn't grill our corn, I did it on the stove, other than that, the rest was the same. I will say it would be better with the smokiness of the grill, so I'm looking forward to using my leftovers for that this weekend.

Ingredients

ears fresh corn, husks removed

Vegetable cooking spray

  • Salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened $
    Click to see savings
  • 1 jalapeƱo pepper, seeded and minced
  • 1 small garlic clove, pressed
  • 1 tablespoon lime zest
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • Garnish: lime zest

Preparation

  1. 1. Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat. Coat corn lightly with cooking spray. Sprinkle with desired amount of salt and pepper. Grill corn, covered with grill lid, 15 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally.
  2. 2. Meanwhile, stir together butter and next 5 ingredients. Remove corn from grill, and cut into thirds. Serve corn with butter mixture. Garnish, if desired.

 ****
I had a bunch of cilantro left over, so I made one of my favorite Pioneer Woman recipes, Pico de Gallo. I've made this before, so it doesn't get headlined as a TIO, but it's a flattering compliment to the grilled corn and jalapeno lime butter. As a matter of fact, that was my entire dinner - corn with jalapeno lime butter and pico de gallo - fantastic!
Pico de Gallo

Ingredients

  • 5 whole Plum (roma) Tomatoes
  • ½ whole Large (or 1 Small) Onion
  • 3 whole Jalapeno Peppers
  • Cilantro
  • Lime Juice
  • Salt To Taste

Preparation Instructions
Chop jalapenos, tomatoes and onions into a very small dice. (Leave seeds in your jalapenos for a hotter pico). Adjust amount of jalapenos to your preferred temperature. Next, chop up a nice-sized bunch of cilantro. Just remove and discard the long leafless stems before chopping. No need to remove the leaves from the stems completely. Place all of these ingredients together in a bowl and give it a good stir.

Squeeze the juice of half of one lime into the bowl. Add salt to taste and stir again.
*** My only change was using a red onion.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment