Tuesday, August 7, 2012

TIO Tuesday - Apple Crisp

Really the title should be "Best Apple Crisp Ever". It truly is, no really, I'm serious! I took two recipes and kind of combined them into what I thought would be the best and it worked, one of the only times it's worked, but I digress. This recipe was so good in fact that the neighbor has "commissioned" me to make it for their family this weekend! I'm thrilled to do it for them and even more flattered that they liked it so much.
I'll post the basic recipe I used and make my notes at the end. You really HAVE to make this!
Perfect Apple Crisp
Source: adapted from Allrecipes

Ingredients:
10 cups all-purpose apples, peeled, cored and sliced (I used about 6 Granny Smith apples)
3/4 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Topping:
2 cups quick-cooking oats
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup butter, melted
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)

Instructions:
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.Place the sliced apples in a 9x13 inch pan. Mix the white sugar, 1 tablespoon flour, nutmeg, and ground cinnamon together, and sprinkle over apples.
3.For the Topping: Combine the oats, 2 cups flour, brown sugar, pecans, baking powder, baking soda and melted butter together. Crumble evenly over the apple mixture.
4.Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes.
5. Serve with vanilla ice cream.

***My notes - I used a 9x9 baking dish, I liked the ratio of topping to apples better this way. I omitted the nuts as Brad and the kids aren't terribly fond of them, though next time, I think I will add them.
The recipe on her website cuts the apples a lot thicker than I did. I used an apple/peeler/corer thingy (pampered chef?) and it makes perfect thin slices. I used the juice of two lemons and tossed the apples in them before I put the sugar mixture in. I think this added a lot of flavor to the crisp and cut down a little on the sweetness. After tossing the apples in the lemon juice, I put the sugar mixture in the bowl and mixed the apples thoroughly. I then put it all in the dish and added the topping. I baked for the 40 minutes and it was perfect.

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment